Sunday, April 14, 2013

Definition

One mistake that many people make when it comes to disorders like autism is to take all of these disorders, put them in one big box, and place a label on it like Down syndrome.  Well, Down syndrome is not autism and the two have many differences, but that's another blog post. For now, I just want to give you a simple (very simple) definition of what autism is.

According to Autism Speaks, autism is a general term for a group of "complex disorders of brain development."  These disorders vary widely in range of severity, from simply having trouble in social situations to not being able to speak, and from being able to live independently to needing some sort of caretaker. Rett syndrome and Asperger syndrome would both be placed into the category of autism.

The three kids I work with are all nonverbal, but they are all very smart.  All three of them can understand and follow instructions (some more willing than others) and communicate what they want in different ways. For example, Sarah will usual just grab my hand and take me to what she wants. Daniel, who will be properly introduced in my next blog, will lead me to what he wants, too, but also uses an app on his iPad.

I hope that gave you maybe a tiny idea of what autism is and what it's not.  Apart from my experiences and what I've researched, I don't fully understand it. Each child is different, and I don't think anyone will ever fully understand autism, but I am simply thankful that I know these kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment